What if Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook went away? How would you reach your followers? Through email! So, whether you have a blog or do a newsletter (or both), your email list puts you in front of potential readers.
And we looooooove readers, don’t we? ❤ Yes, we may write for ourselves first but we also want people to share in the worlds we create! Writing isn’t a spectator sport (ok, maybe it is in some dystopian book you write!) so the only way folks will experience our genius is to be able to find our books and read them. 😊
So…. Here are 10 Ways to Building Your Subscriber List BEFORE Your Book Comes Out For Your Blog Or Newsletter!
- Start with who you know. Ask all your friends and family to sign up. Sending a personal email or Facebook message request gets a higher engagement response than sending a mass email.
- Do a book giveaway! Glean your bookshelves for gently-used books in your genre to give away. Use Rafflecopter (free) and offer extra entries to the contest for those who follow you on social media or sign up for your newsletter.
- Do joint giveaways using Rafflecopter with other authors in your genre. Each author chips in a few $$ to include a gift card. The more that participate, the more cross-promotion to gain more followers. Again, offer extra entries to the contest for those who follow you on social media or sign up for your newsletter. Check out an example here that landed me hundreds of new subscribers.
- Power of a free story in exchange for subscribers. Offer a free story when potential readers reach your website or blog to sign up. This is called a lead magnet. Don’t have one? Write one! Could be a side story about your characters or a new story in the same genre. Create a PDF. Get an inexpensive eye-catching cover on www.Fiverr.com.
- Create a call-to-action in your website banner or in your blog. “Get My Free Story! Sign up here.” Using pronouns like “my” or “your” gets a higher response of engagement.
- Promote it. If you do in-person events like panels, readings, or group events then have a physical sign-up sheet. Mention it before and after the event and how they can get a free story as well.
- Add your list opt-in everywhere. On your Facebook author page. As the link in your Instagram or Pinterest profile. Add it to your email signature. At the end of each blog post.
- Add a welcome or exit pop-up on your site. When a user arrives or is about to leave your site, they will get a pop-up that prompts them to opt-in to your list.
- Add an option for your readers to share your newsletter in the newsletter itself.
- Include social media share buttons on each blog post.
Get on the course sign up list now for the launch of my Create Your Awesome Community For Debut Authors program. It’s a proven 10-step system to create your author platform based on community building.